woodburner/combi boiler,dual central heating setup?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maoridanny
Labourer
Labourer

woodburner/combi boiler,dual central heating setup?

by maoridanny » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:47 pm

hi, i am wondering about the possibilities of installing a wood burning back boiler into a central heating system that currently runs off a combi boiler, the reason being a reliable source of firewood,so reducing my gas bill. i was thinking of using the combi first thing ijn the morning or as a backup in case i ran out of wood, and then use the wood burner during the arfternoon/evening. Presumably i would need a valve near the combi to prevent flow from the woodburner going through it, and a valve near the wood burner for the same reason when the combi is working. Does anyone have any ideas or experience, or am i being unreasonably cheap. One thing that does concern me is the need for a pump to generate flow when the woodburner is firing. I have searched the net for a similar setup, but so far have found nothing.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:11 pm

maoridanny,
You will probably need to instal a Dunsley Neutraliser, this is intended for the installation you are proposing.
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi, did this some years ago by putting second boiler across flow & return of first one with 2 tees .
Added 2 two port valves, one in each boiler flow leg with selector switch (2 way 10Amp light switch) with mains on common and L1 or L2 to call whichever valve was needed, used valves switched output live to call original boiler or new one (which also had new pump in line), been working that way for a long time without problems,
regards SPARX

maoridanny
Labourer
Labourer

by maoridanny » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:03 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]maoridanny,
You will probably need to instal a Dunsley Neutraliser, this is intended for the installation you are proposing.
end[/quote] thanks stonyboy and sparx. since my original post i've come across a couple of threads poo pooing the idea so was beginning to wonder. good to see that someone has actually made it work. sorry it's taken so long to thank you guys.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1