Woodburning Stove Issues - Fire Stop Plate And DEFRA Approval
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kruger
Labourer
Labourer

Woodburning Stove Issues - Fire Stop Plate And DEFRA Approval

Post by kruger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Lo all,
I'm in the process of getting the kit together to install a wood burner in the kitchen. I went out and bought a Clarke XL pot bellied stove intending to fit a twin wall flue system as we have no chimney. The first problem I came across is the stove was advertised at most places as being able to burn coal as well as wood, and as I'm living in a smoke control area I was planning to burn anthracite as it is a smokeless fuel I was going to burn.
But now I know that the stove is only rated for burning wood, and as it is not DEFRA passed I can not legally use it, or is there a way round it?

Secondly I am stuck on the fire stop plate where it goes through the ceiling into the loft (I live in a bungalow), I hear you have to use a vented plate, but I have seen many installs where a solid plate is used, can someone confirm whether I can use a solid plate with no vents.

I will not be using the stove all the time and don't like the idea of losing so much heat from the radiators through the vented plate when the stove is not being used.

Mattwrx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Woodburning Stove Issues - Fire Stop Plate And DEFRA Approval

Post by Mattwrx » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 am

I'm in the process of fitting a wood burning stove too. I arranged for 3 engineers to come round to give me quotes and asked them all what the best way was to instal and what flue they would use. Have you spoken to anyone yet ? You'll need an engineer to certify anyway before you use it so best to get someone round. At least they can give you advice before they issue the cert.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1