Woodburning Stove Problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
here3ring
Labourer
Labourer

Woodburning Stove Problem

by here3ring » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:25 am

Need some advice on what to do when installing a wood burning stove into an existing fireplace.
My problem is - Do I need to insert a liner into the existing chimney?

I have a large masonry fireplace similar to an inglenook fireplace in which we currently have an open fire (very inefficient).

The opening at the bottom is 1.7 metres x .58 metres.
This tapers up to a rectangle of 153mm x 350mm
At this point there is a lined rectangular box of this size all the way to the top of the chimney.

Would this be sufficient to be used for the flue to be inserted - the flue being circular or would it need to be lined with a circular lining that the flue fits into?

If so does the current lining need to be filled out when the circular lining is fitted?

If not then can the flue just sit within the opening of the existing rectangular lining?

Many thanks for any advice that may be forthcoming.

Fixter
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Fixter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:01 am

Vital that you look at Part J Building Regs. Yes when converting an open fire to a stove, the chimney needs to be lined. Lots of things to consider but well worth DIY if you have the time. Use a stainless steel double walled liner. With HiPS, your conversion will need to meet Bldg Regs, else you're going to find it difficult when it comes to selling. It's also basic safety for you and your family.

AndyAndy
Labourer
Labourer

by AndyAndy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:04 pm

We have just had a stove fitted. The fitter said to me that if you can line your chimney you should. They used a fleixble steel lining which was fed down the chimney from the roof, this then then attached to our Wood Burning Stove.

I'm not sure whether a liner would fit down that gap, otherwise it would be quite tight.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm