wooden floor fillets... where can i buy them?

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm

simple question, is there anything commercially available, tapered strips of wood for example, to act as so-called fillets when filling the gaps in floorboards prior to filling? or is it a case of making your own?

i am sanding the boards in our hallway and have a void under the house so at present its a bit draughty. many of the gaps are too big to go down the pva and sawdust route and i think that fillets would look a lot smarter. can i buy anything or do i need to make my own?

thanks!

chris
chris_on_tour2002

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Tall Tone » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am

I have never heard of people selling specifically fillets of wood because they would need to come in 100 different shapes and sizes. I tend to use bits that I have kept for just such an occasion.
Tall Tone
Progress to next rank:
10.7%

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:20 pm

yes exactly, i was thinking of some kind of tapered arragement so they could just be knocked into any sized gap and sanded smooth. maybe i've found a 'gap' in the market haha....
chris_on_tour2002

Postby MT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 pm

I have used wood fillets to fill gaps and it works v. well. Just went down the timber merchant and he cut some for me. Don't need different sizes if fillet is cut in a wedge shape (apart from lengths which you can cut yourself) just whack the thin edge in as far as you can and rough plane off excess, then use sander to level, going along the length of the fillet. Old strong tea works well as a stain, obviously without milk!
MT
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!