Wooden floor lifting HELP

Postby JamesWill » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:26 pm

We live in 50's built bungalow. There is an under floor space~ 1 metre deep onto soil. We are surrounded by fields with ahill behind. The wooden floor put in 5 years ago has swollen this summer, lots of rain so presumably under floor soil v wet. Had a problem a few years ago in winter and was told to lag between joists under floor, I did this. How do I stop this new condensation on my floor? The under floor area is in compartments so it is diificult to improve air flow, so do I put a membrane(or plastic) over the soil or tack one onto the underside of the floor joist? Are there any better solutions? Please help
JamesWill
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:16 pm

you need to put concrete onto the soil only 3inch thick and it dosent have to be pretty.
This will stop moisture from rising and will aid the airflow under the floor
if you leave it and just put polythene this will make the problem worse.
welsh brickie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!