WOODEN FLOORING RISING
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suzanne hughes
Apprentice
Apprentice

WOODEN FLOORING RISING

by suzanne hughes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:28 pm

OUR DOWNSTAIRS FLOOR IS CONCETE, THEN A LAYER OF PLY WOOD AND FINALLY WOODEN BLOCK FLOORING. THIS IS IN MY TWO DOWNSTAIRS ROOMS AND HALLWAY. I HAVE NOTICED IN THE TWO ROOMS THAT IN CERTAIN AREAS THE FLOOR IS RISING. THE HOUSE DOES SUFFER WITH CONDENSATION. COULD THIS BE THE REASON THAT THE FLOOR IS RAISING? COULD THE PLY BE ABSORBING THE MOISTURE AND THEN EXPANDING? THE PLY WAS SCREWED DOWN INTO THE CONCETE. IF WE PULLED UP THE FLOORING WE WOULN'T BE ABLE TO RELAY IT AGAIN. ANY ADVICE?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:49 am

suzanne hughes,
When the floor was laid an expansion gap of about 5mm should have been left on all side of the plywood. You have little choice but to relay the floor.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

J.G.F
Labourer
Labourer

Re: WOODEN FLOORING RISING

by J.G.F » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:06 am

[quote="suzanne hughes"]OUR DOWNSTAIRS FLOOR IS CONCETE, THEN A LAYER OF PLY WOOD AND FINALLY WOODEN BLOCK FLOORING. THIS IS IN MY TWO DOWNSTAIRS ROOMS AND HALLWAY. I HAVE NOTICED IN THE TWO ROOMS THAT IN CERTAIN AREAS THE FLOOR IS RISING. THE HOUSE DOES SUFFER WITH CONDENSATION. COULD THIS BE THE REASON THAT THE FLOOR IS RAISING? COULD THE PLY BE ABSORBING THE MOISTURE AND THEN EXPANDING? THE PLY WAS SCREWED DOWN INTO THE CONCETE. IF WE PULLED UP THE FLOORING WE WOULN'T BE ABLE TO RELAY IT AGAIN. ANY ADVICE?[/quote]

Was there a Dpm placed under the ply and on top of the ply? if not then get in contact with your floor fitter and ask why!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:26 pm