Wooden worktop heat resistance
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jav46088
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden worktop heat resistance

by jav46088 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Does anyone know how heat resistant a wooden worktop in a kitchen is? My new worktop has had three coats of oil but I am told that I can't even put a cup of tea down on it without it marking.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi. Being a cabinet maker I'm obviously a great fan of wood, but not really as work surfaces that are expected to resist moisture, heat abrasion, oils & fats, tea, HP sauce etc etc.

Basically, they won't. Even with a lot of TLC they won't. That, I'm afraid, is wood for you.

We tend to call these years of use "patina" and pay a fortune for it in antique shops.

I have a table where a hundred years ago somebody put down a hot candle snuffer and scorched the surface. Makes a great tale and adds a good few quid to the value. However I imagine at the time sombody got a good clout round the ear for their carelessness.

Bot much compensation I know, but at least enjoy the moral superiority fact that goes with using a green material naturally finished!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:17 am