Worcester 240 malfunction
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jaysta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Worcester 240 malfunction

Post by jaysta » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi there,

I apologise now if this problem has been posted before.

Yesterday, the boiler started playing up. Apparently, the heating would come on fine but then as soon as hot water tap was turned on the boiler would pack in and the system overheat button would pop out.

Then, heating was left on and mum tried her best not to use the hot water; however dad woke up and turned the tap on and since then we can't get the heating to come on or hot water to come on without the boiler packing in.

I've looked through the manual and got to fault finding so i got my multimeter out. I've tried testing parts as stated in the manual but the boiler won't stay on long enough to carry on testing.

The manual asks "is the pump running?" and I don't think it is cos when we get the boiler to come on and then we hear like a sizzling sound. This leads me to believe that the pump isn't working but I need to make sure. What's bugging me is is that when I touch the pump it's stinging hot at times [i]and[/i] this is when the boiler has packed in??

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment; has anyone any ideas so far?

Any advice would be thankfully appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:45 am

sounds like it may be the diverter valve sticking, when the boiler is on central heating - feel the hot water draw off pipe from the boiler- if this gets hot then the diverter valve isn't switching across fully.

It could aslo be the pump as the boiler will cut out if it overheats as a safety precaution. The pump shouldn't get mad hot. Do the radiators heat up ok ?

jaysta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jaysta » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 pm

hi htg engineer

thanks for your reply

yeah i've been thinking the same that it could be diverter valve or the pump; however it's working now.

i opened up the screw on the pump last night and some bubbles came out. i can only think that the pump was being stubborn perhaps due to an airlock in itself.

if this happens again i'll be sure to check the first radiator next time to see if it is heating up or not in the short time that it comes on before being shutdown and let you know.

thanks again :)

jaysta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is the pump faulty dya think?

Post by jaysta » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Update on this so far...

Early this morning :(

The boiler packed in again. I could hear the pump and it was stinging red hot to touch and radiators weren't getting any warmer.

I opened up the screw on the pump and it wasn't running at all. Does this mean that the pump is on its way out?

Any feedback thankfully appreciated.

Jay

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 pm

If the pump wasn't running and was mad hot - then it sounds like the pump is the problem.

There's 4 or sometimes 2 bolts securing the pump head to the pump manifold, should be pretty simple to change.

jaysta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jaysta » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks htg engineer for your reply :)

Well, further update on this is...

When the boiler has packed up and when I open the plated screw sometimes it is running and sometimes it is not.

I drained the boiler circuit and removed the pump. I then wired it up to a mains plug and plugged it into the mains. It ran fine on all three speeds; however on the number 1 and 2 settings it was evident that there was a faulty bearing and number 3 setting ran smoothly.

My instinct is still telling me that it is the pump as well but I've got a little bit of doubt that's all.

Is there anything else I can check before going for another pump.

We are in the middle of ringing around for a pump so fingers crossed :roll:

muzza
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by muzza » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:20 pm

It's the pump, change it the boiler is doing its job just not having the heat transferred properly

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1