Work completed over 5 years ago do i need building regs?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
broddler
Labourer
Labourer

Work completed over 5 years ago do i need building regs?

by broddler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi I am new on here,

We have put our house up for sale and it has come up that when we rmoved the french doors that lead to the conservatory we should have had building regs, is this true?

We also had a builder fit 2 rsg's about eight years ago who told us that if we didnt intend to move in the next 5 years we didnt need building regulations to check it, is this also true.

Thanks Steve

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:16 pm

broddler,
Assuming the work was carried out over 4 years ago your local council cannot take action against you for non-compliance. This does not mean to say that you should not have got BR approval - the builder who installed the RSJs was lying to you.
You could apply to the Council for "Regularisation" of the works but it's probably easier to pay for your buyer to employ a surveyor to approve the works.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Not sure that a surveyor would be cheaper than regularisation, but check out both options, or you could employ your own surveyor to chec it out.

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm

broddler

Any bulding works tht require consent, in this case structural alterations, carried out post November 1985 will require regularisation by the local authority. The regularisation is to ensure the works complied with the building regulations at the time the works were undertaken, but in real terms for a structural alterations.

There is no 4 year limit for building control, sorry.

You may also find that if calculations were not produced at the time the works were undertaken, the building inspector may require these to prove that the beams are acceptable.

A call to your building inspector at the local authority will confirm the above.

Hope this helps

LCL

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 pm

LCL,
"There is no 4 year limit for building control, sorry."

I think you will find that the 4 year period is time limit for action to be taken by the LBA.
end

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1