working with building control dept....benefits?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
halfajobharry
Labourer
Labourer

working with building control dept....benefits?

by halfajobharry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi 'Guys'

have used this site many a time looking for tips on straight forward jobs around the home, always proved successful....thanks :D

We are moving home and the new place will require some work to get it how we would like it. Namely installation of a chimney and wood burner also a single storey sun-room joining onto kitchen.

I understand the need for planning permission etc no problems there....my question (to get to the point!!) I was advised to engage building control dept when carrying out any work so that the standard of work can be monitored. Looking at websites some councils state by doing so, money will be saved. Will there be benefits from regular inspections by dept? Does it usually save money?

If we didn't go ahead with the sun-room and just the Chimney (already a coal effect gas fire in situ with flu) would it still be advisable to pay the extra money and have the dept check the work? :?

Yours with thanks,
Lee :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

halfajobharry,
"Does it usually save money?" Not immediately, in fact it will cost you money. If you do not involve the BR dept when doing the alterations and you come to sell, your buyer may ask for certificates to prove any work has been done to the required standard. Getting a "Regularisation Certificate" could cost you extra money and time.
Involving the BR dept could save your life especially where the wood burner is concerned. If the wood burner is not installed correctly CO can be produced killing you.
end

halfajobharry
Labourer
Labourer

by halfajobharry » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Involving the BR dept could save your life especially where the wood burner is concerned. If the wood burner is not installed correctly CO can be produced killing you.
end[/quote]

Thanks for the advice StoneyBoy :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1