worktop edges

Postby moxard777 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:24 pm

i've put in new worktops and have one exposed end! I'm going to put on a laminate edging strip using contact adhesive, what's the best way to cut/finish it??
moxard777
Progress to next rank:
36.8%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby plumbbob » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 am

Snip the excess off with a pair of side cutters and then file the edge to make a smooth finish.
plumbbob

Postby moxard777 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]Snip the excess off with a pair of side cutters and then file the edge to make a smooth finish.[/quote]

side cutters?? what type of file wud u recomend?
moxard777
Progress to next rank:
36.8%

Postby plumbbob » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Side cutters are, well, wire cutters. Check out product http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=36412 ... 071&m=1228 from Screwfix.

Any fine flat metal file will do such as the from Screwfix.

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=25065 ... 071&m=1228

The excess can be removed very easily without damaging the laminate, but it may be a good idea to try a test first on a piece of scrap. The difficult part is following the front curve.
plumbbob

Postby rosebery » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:36 pm

"side cutters??"

Yes I thought the same. Apart from the very obvious and expensive route of a laminate cutter or a festool then you can use the back edge of a sharp wood chisel held flat down on the top and at an angle to cut the protruding edging. Then you can rub off the sharp edge with 340 grit "wet n dry".

Alternatively asharp fine toothed hacksaw blade will also do the trick but you'll probably need to file some of the edging before using the wet n dry.
rosebery

Postby plumbbob » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32 pm

Trust me, I am no novice at this. It is the standard way of trimming the laminate.

Once you have done a few dozen edges or so, they can be done neater than with a electric trimmer, and not that much slower either!

We bought one of those electric trimmers a few years ago, and we all decided it was rubbish as it often chipped the front edge, and you could never do the last few inches against the wall.
plumbbob

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!