Would Basement Extractor Fan Work?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burt12345
Tradesman
Tradesman

Would Basement Extractor Fan Work?

by burt12345 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm

I have noticed this year it is particularly damp in my north facing basement office, this part of the house backs onto soil, as as upper floors have an extensions at the back. It is a terraced house.

The back wall (to soil) is currently plaster boarded (previous owners) so I dread to think what may be behind there, but the walls to our neighbours and the room dividing walls are particularly damp - I used a moisture meter that we use for our logs.

Some people advise that ventilation may be all that is required, we do have a window in each of the basement rooms which are rarely open as it is a security risk - would installing an extractor fan be enough to cure the problem? is it worth even trying? I have read that you can get reversing fans which you alternate in the summer/winter - I'm not sure if you need to inhale or exhale in the winter.

Can anybody advise, and please could you provide links to any products you suggest.

thanks Burt

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14 pm

burt12345,
An extractor is unlikely to solve your damp problems, have a look at this https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/li ... pwalls.htm where you will find details of a permanent solution.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:21 pm