Writing a 2 gang 1 way switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beebee
Labourer
Labourer

Writing a 2 gang 1 way switch

by beebee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Being a woman with a husband who knows nothing about electrics I need a little help!.

I need to wire up a switch in our utility room - my husband took off the old switch before noting where the wires went!.

I have four red wires (2 have grey sleeves and 2 have white sheeves) I also have a small piece of red wire, which is exposed at each end.
On the old switch where L1, L2 and L3, which wires go where and what do I do with the small piece of unattached red wire, help!, otherwise its a new husband who knows how to do DIY.!

Thanks beebee

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi Beebee,,
First is it a single sw. is it the only one to operate a light or is it a 2 way to somewhere else, grey/white colours not used in UK so where are you !
sounds like a double sw.[2 gang] for 2 lights in which case the small wire is a link between com. terms, more info please, SPARX

beebee
Labourer
Labourer

by beebee » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:52 am

I do live in the UK - my house is a new build (5 years old), the switch operates a light and a extractor fan. I looked at the wiring again this morning and it does have four red sleeved wires (which are inturn sleeved in white or grey) there is also an earth wire which looks to be connected to the other wires - although not easy to see. The old light swith was a volex with L1, L2 L3 and com, I have a new light switch MK with the same ref.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi agn. Beebee,
sorry but never seen a single sw. marked as yours ie 4 terminals C,L1,2,3
either C,L1,L2, or L1,L2,L3 or if intermediate sw. used for when 3 or more sw. operate one light then L1,L2,L3,L4 .
You may have to get 'hands-on' help,
BW,
SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 pm