Wrong Colour Wires!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
norman005
Labourer
Labourer

Wrong Colour Wires!

Post by norman005 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm trying to wire a new light fitting,bought from a well known swedish company, in my conservatory. I'm trying to use the wires that existed there that were originally for an exterior security light that was controlled via a switch on the interior wall. The problem I am having is that the wires i have coming through the wall are 1 blue, 1 red, 1 yellow and a yellow/green. The light only has a blue and a brown. I seem to have tried every combination and I have looked through the projects and forum but can't find a similar problem.
Can anyone help? many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Norman, as it was for a security light most require a Neutral (blue) a permanant Live (usually red), and a switched Line (usually the yellow).
You don't need the permanant Live line.
If you are lucky, in the switch box you will find the three core and earth wire with the live looped from one side of the switch with the red live in.
If so disconnect it and put in a small connector block in box.
At new light do the same, this should leave sw.line, Neutral & earth. joining sw. L to brown, blue to blue & earth to grn/yel.
the switch line should be marked as such with tape or sleeving,
regards SPARX

norman005
Labourer
Labourer

Wrong Colour Wires!

Post by norman005 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanx for your reply. I had to wait for daylight to see what to do.
I'm not sure i understand your second paragraph.
In the switch box i have two cables coming in. One has a red, black and earth the other has a yellow, red and blue. The blue and black are connected via a block connector. the yellow goes to the top screw of the switch and both red go to the bottom scew of the switch.
Which red wire needs to be removed and capped with a block connector? I tried removing one at a time and trying but this does not work.
Sorry but I'm not up with all the terminology.

Thanx, Norm

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi agn.
Disconnect the yellow and make safe in a spare connector block, (both ends as it's not needed.)
Leave blk& blue as is.
Seperate the reds and put one in top and one in bottom of switch, either way round, it doesn't matter.
you should have 2 earths also connected (one from each cable).
At light end use red for live to brown of light and blue to Neutral blue of light ,earth to green/yellow of light unless it is double insulated non metalic fitting which won't have an earth but will be marked with double 'box' symbol [[]]
regards Sparx

norman005
Labourer
Labourer

Post by norman005 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks sparx for the help. Everything is working great now. Sorry for the delay in replying
Cheers,
NORM

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 am