Yellow cables in light fittings?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chubbs
Labourer
Labourer

Yellow cables in light fittings?

by chubbs » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:10 pm

First time on here ...so please be gentle with me!

I went to replace an ordinary ceiling rose with a new fitting and found that the live wire was yellow?

I have checked several other fittings and switches in the house and found that it is the case in all of the lights.

The roses have 2 blacks, 1 yellow and 1 green wire, and the switches have 2 reds and 1 yellow.

I have never seen a yellow wire used in this situation before and was wondering if it is legal. The circuits are straight on-off type (ie not 2way switching).

Many thanks..

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi, from what you say you have it must be old single core wiring in conduits, with lives looped at switches, neutrals looped at roses & switch wires in yellow. The sw. wires should have been over-sleeved red.
This practice was used in local authority housing a few years back, you will find the green earth wire comes from a terminal in back of conduit box, using conduit as earth continuity conductor (CPC). If this is so then you will have a metal consumer unit to pick up conduit earths.
If this is not so please reply with any other observations.
regards SPARX

chubbs
Labourer
Labourer

by chubbs » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:40 pm

The loops are exactly as you describe and it is a local authority house...the use of the yellow cable was throwing me as I'd never seen it before and neither had a more experienced sparky I spoke to.

I'd have to do more investigation into the source of the earths but I do know that the consumer unit is a modern plastic one....MK I think.

Since my original post I have had a closer look at some of the wiring and have told my parents to get the council to have a look at it as I have found some live wiring cut off and tucked into skirting boards, and light fittings being back-fed from another source.

Glad it ain't my house but my mum is crapping herself now!!!

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:06 am