yellow wire in bathroom lighting?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

yellow wire in bathroom lighting?

by ajax » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am

hello,
our bathroom light went out the other day, I was a way at the time, so my wife called in daddy to have a look, and disconnected everything and cant put it back!!.
She went and bought a new light - usual L/N/E connections on it, and a spare choc block with it ???
After looking at the cables into the old one, its as follows:

1 cable to the light switch (i guess) - red, black (sleeved) and neutral
1 cable with red/black and neutral
1 cable with red, black, earth and a yellow wire ? yellow is sleeved.

I have never seen 3 core to lights, so not sure how the configuration is. From the projects, of light circuits, it shows everything with 3 wires, but i have this 1 with 4 - i'm not sure how to get them back now ?
any help?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi
is there a fan in bathroom with timer over run? if so the three core +E goes to fan, red perm live, yellow switch line, blue N would be usual way of connecting it to light.
you don't say what colour of sleeving, but presume red?also not sure about red,black & neutral???
Don't want to guess, but would think if one cable has red and black (sleeved red) it woud be as you say the live to sw. and switched live back to light plus E sleeved grn/yel.
the other 2core + E would be the L+N feed, & the 3core +E to fan.
IF this fits what you have, then all 3 reds go together in spare term block provided (Not connected to light flexes at all).
plain black and blue from 3c go to Neutral (blue flex) of light.
Red (sleeved blk) from sw. goes with yel of fan to L (brown) of light.
IF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU HAVE, DON'T PROCEED, reply with more details please,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:45 am