Yet another light wiring problem

Postby numpty1979 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm


I am trying to replace a light fitting in my hallway. I have removed the old light fitting which had a very standard light wiring set up. I have identified the two red wires, two black wires, yellow and green wire and the extra switch circuit black wire.

The problem is unlike the old light fitting the new one only has two junction boxes - one connected to the blue wires out of the light and the other connected to the brown, and an earthing connection. Where do I attach the switch circuit black wire?

Anyone come across this problem before because I currently have a functioning light that you can't switch off!

Apologies if this is a stupid question. Thanks for any advice.
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:13 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kuzz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 am

Sounds like the black wire is your switch wire. This should be marked red with red tape or sleaving & connects to the brown in your fitting. The two reds are your loop. They do not connect to the fitting at all, they only need to be connected together. A 5 amp connector block will do the job.
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Postby numpty1979 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:31 am

Excellent, many thanks. That explains a lot.

On another note, I understand that replacement light fittings (i.e. not switches) require a minor works certificate from a professional or buildings inspector. Anyone know how much this costs? Is it worth me replacing all the lights in the house and then requesting an examination? Do they charge per light or per certificate?

Many many thanks Kuzz - will give this a go this afternoon.
Last edited by numpty1979 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby kuzz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:59 pm

You do not need a certificate for changing light fittings.
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Postby kbrownie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi numpty1979,
If you are only replacing fittings, no need for certs.
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby sparks » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Well just to confirm if you break into a circuit so all the wires need reconnecting to a light fitting you will need a minor works certificate,this will also entail confirmation that all your earth bonding is the correct size and supplimentary bonding is installed where required
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Postby numpty1979 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:58 am

Many thanks all - I am just removing light fittings and replacing them with new ones so I will follow your advice and not bother with a certificate.

Kuzz - your advice worked perfectly and I am now the proud owner of a fully functioning hall light, which I can switch both on and off. Many thanks for your advice.
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Postby sparx » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 pm

N.B. to all please note 'Sparks' is not me,
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics