zoned central heating with radiators?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
craigchalmers
Labourer
Labourer

zoned central heating with radiators?

by craigchalmers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi

I am in the process of building a 4 bed house, i am reluctant to have underfloor heating due to limitations on the quality of carpet / underlay / rugs etc, so have opted for radiators.

My question is; Is there a similar manifold type system, like the ones used with underfloor heating whereby i can control (with digital thermostats) different zones individualy. i.e i can have one room heated to 17 degrees, and another at 20 degrees? I want to be able to control the temp from each room with using TRV's and leaving the boiler on all the time.

Honeywell do a retro-fit system that wirelessly shuts off and opens the TRV's accordingly, but there must be a more sophisticated system like the manifold / underfloor system, where a thermostat essentially sends a signal to shut off / open a valve on a manifold.

Any help is much appreciated.

Craig

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, motorised valves, thermostats and a fair bit wiring - but why ?? when a simple TRV to each radiator will do the same job, at a fraction of the price.

htg

craigchalmers
Labourer
Labourer

by craigchalmers » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm

yes, a glutten for punishment.

I am reluctant to use TRV's as i would have to go round manually and turn them on and off whenever needed. It is also difficult to get the room to a certain temp with TRV's, its easier using a digital thermostat.

I am trying to find out if i can utilise the same manifolds used in underfloor systems, but with rads. as the way i understand them is, you have an input/output for each zone/room, and a thermostat in each room with opens and closes the ports on the manifold, much like a motorised valve system.

Any ideas

Cheers

Craig

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1