Building Regulations Approved Document H - Drainage and Waste Disposal

Summary: Read the building regulations Approved Document H which refer to the rules for drainage and waste disposal. Find out the rules and regulations that pertain to sanitary pipe work, cesspools and tanks, rain water drianage and solid waste storage.

Don't want to do this job yourself? Let us help you find a tradesman local to you

Building Regulations: Approved Document H - Drainage and Waste Disposal

  • H1 Sanitary pipework and drainage
  • H2 Cesspools and tanks
  • H3 Rainwater drainage
  • H4 Solid waste storage

Toilet, bath, shower and sink water and water (Foul drainage) and rainwater (surface drainage) need to be dealt with in seperate, safe, systems. Tanks of all kinds need to be sited safely and well ventilated to prevent the build up of any toxic fumes.

Building Regulation Booklets

Building Regulation Booklets

Click on the image to download H

Click on the book in the image below for an easy summary of the building regulations. This book is a must for those involved with any type of structural alteration. Even removing a wall in your home can require building regulation approval and with all home information available in Home Information Packs selling your home can be difficult if you do not have legal approval, where necessary, for work done on your house.

Building Regulations explained

To preview the contents click on search this book.

Please be sure to check on the Government Planning Portal website for updates to any Building Regulations before commencing work.

Don't fancy doing this project yourself? We work with Checkatrade to ensure that we recommend only reliable and trustworthy tradesmen.

All project content written and produced by

Project Feedback