With lots of the population doing a lot of travelling over the next couple of weeks, we thought we would put together a list of essentials to make sure you have in your car.
- A decent ice scraper and de-icer
- Hazard Triangle to warn other drivers if you have had an accident.
- Torch – a small LED torch is great or consider a wind up torch in case the batteries fail.
- A blanket or sleeping bag for warmth if you have to spend time in the car due to a breakdown.
- Tow-rope (one that should stay in the car all year round maybe!)
- A shovel and possibly even a small bag of rock salt in case you get stuck.
- First aid kit (plus, very importanty if you are travelling far, a supply of any medication you need to take on a regular basis)
- Extra warm clothes in case you break down – hats, gloves, extra socks and wellies are a good idea.
- Make sure if you have a mobile phone that it is fully charged in case you need to call for help.
- Drinks and snacks! Stock up on a few muesli bars and some dried fruit in plastic containers will keep you going. Also, pack a flask with a hot drink or some high-energy drink.
- Roadside assistance membership is also obviously recommended in case you get stranded.
Although we would naturally store this emergency kit in the boot of the car, in actual fact as many accidents involve a rear collision, it would be better yo keep it in the car preferably in the passenger footwell if possible.