10year old plus Italian combi boiler – friend or Foe.?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Vince Meakins
Apprentice
Apprentice

10year old plus Italian combi boiler – friend or Foe.?

by Vince Meakins » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm

I’m looking to buy a three bed bungalow and it has an Italian boiler called a Firolla, but could have that name slightly wrong. Anyone know this make and would they recommend keeping it or replacing it? I assume I would need to upgrade to a condensing type? The existing pipe work looks in good order. Would you recommend changing all or just the boiler? Some idea on costs would be great. It has two reception rooms and one bathroom.

Many thanks everyone

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not ferolli!!!!!!
Well ok i'm exaggerating slightly but they are a very cheap brand of boiler.... until you get to buying spares for them. They are little better then the cheap Ravenheat boiler you find in B&Q, and are only really designed to work no more then 7 years maybe. They are like the washing machine of the boiler world, if it breaksdown probably cheaper to replace etc.
They do the job, are easy to fault find on them, but as an engineer i would never ever fit one in my house. The italians are famous for their lovers and their cars, but not their boilers and thats with good reason!
As for changing the entire system? not really worth the expense unless there are some major ungrades or changes which are required
As for the cost? it depends greatly on the boiler u get, any changes which need doing and who you get to do it.
I would recommend a worcester or vaillant, maybe gloworm if on a bit more a budget. Some other would recommend baxi potterton (same company before u ask)

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

If you look up your proposed purchase on the net, you will find all the information you require to make a decision.
There is no reason to change the boiler until it no longer works.
The cost of change, compared to the very small suggested improvement in running costs is just not worth it.
The anticipated performance of any boiler, is just that, anticipated, they are all self certified and no one has the job of checking that the manufacturers claims are true. You will never recover the cost of the new boiler over its life, run the existing one into the ground.

oli-spark
Labourer
Labourer

by oli-spark » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 am

Ferolli are capable of engineering very good products
Most oil boiler use ferolli burners which are superb
Dont get too hung up on the itailian-ness of it or believe that german engineering is always better.
I spend most of my time fitting controls onto heating systems and while worcester-bosch boilers are very popular, easy to get parts for etc they are not IMHO particularly advanced (try getting weathercompensation as an option) or exceptional in any way.
If it works well and is efficient dont worry about it - chances are it will go for years without a problem

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 pm

i would agree, if it isn't broken don't fix it, but seeing as it will likely break sooner rather then later, we can all be in the unique position of all having different opinions and still all being correct. Besides parts for ferrolli tend be be expensive, so while they are available, it probably won't be worth it

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1