12 way consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

12 way consumer unit

by greengrass » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:54 pm

I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

He then said the fuse box needed changing, that, I did agree with, as it's the old wired type, and also earth cross bonding would be included although there are already earth straps on the pipes. The crunch came when he gave a quote for the latest micro trip 12 way consumer unit............wait! little bit more..................now I'll tell you £810.00
I've seen MCB fuse boards on the net for as low as £40 and in DIY shops so given that that don't pay those prices and the cable for earthing isn't much to them is that a 'stitch up ' or what!!! Time to replace and bond 1/2 to 3/4 of 1 day. so let's say a day. what a 'wedge' What do you think????

I have priced up the plug in MCB [bayonet ] at a cost of £65 for 8 someway cheaper than £810 for similar or even same protection.
I am getting my mate in [who because of his contract can't do the job] to check the earth bonding again as the last check proved ok.
Greengrass

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 12 way consumer unit

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm

[quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

He then said the fuse box needed changing, that, I did agree with, as it's the old wired type, and also earth cross bonding would be included although there are already earth straps on the pipes. The crunch came when he gave a quote for the latest micro trip 12 way consumer unit............wait! little bit more..................now I'll tell you £810.00
I've seen MCB fuse boards on the net for as low as £40 and in DIY shops so given that that don't pay those prices and the cable for earthing isn't much to them is that a 'stitch up ' or what!!! Time to replace and bond 1/2 to 3/4 of 1 day. so let's say a day. what a 'wedge' What do you think????

I have priced up the plug in MCB [bayonet ] at a cost of £65 for 8 someway cheaper than £810 for similar or even same protection.
I am getting my mate in [who because of his contract can't do the job] to check the earth bonding again as the last check proved ok.
Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
THIS PRICE DEPENDS ON WHAT U WOULD B GETTING.
IS IT A 60 POUND BOARD OR IS IT A TOP OF THE
RANGE MODEL ?
I ASSUME ALL BONDING IS IN WITH THE PRICE.
10 MM2 WATER AND GAS AND 16 MM2 MAIN EARTHING
CONDUCTOR.
ALSO REQUIRED IN WITH PRICE SHOULD BE
A ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE TO
VERIFY CIRCUITS AND TEST AFTER BOARD IS FITTED.
I ALSO ISSUE PERIODIC INSPECTION CERTIFICATE
TO DESCRIBE CONDITION OF INSTALLATION AND NOTICE
OF ANY FURTHER REMEADIAL WORK REQUIRED.
THIS PRICE IS A BIT MORE THAN WHAT I WOULD CHARGE, FOR THE ABOVE. I WOULD FIT TOP OF THE RANGE BOARD. ( CAN BE £175 IF RCDS SOMTIMES DEPENDING ON METHOD OF EARTHING. ( EG TT SYSTEM )
BEST THING U CAN DO IS ASK YOUR MATE WHAT A REALILISTIC
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:36 am

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
RANGE MODEL ?
CONDUCTOR.
THIS PRICE IS A BIT MORE THAN WHAT I WOULD CHARGE, FOR THE ABOVE. I WOULD FIT TOP OF THE RANGE BOARD. ( CAN BE £175 IF RCDS SOMTIMES DEPENDING ON METHOD OF EARTHING. ( EG TT SYSTEM )
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks Blakey [Is the name anything to do with 'On the buses' with Reg Varney?]
The property is earth bonded as I showed him but he talked cross bonding and in the kitchen both hot and cold are already cross bonded [looped from hot to cold] and earth strap at the stopcock in bathroom as well as one also on gas meter pipework so assume that the whole system is already cross bonded and there is no bonding in the bathrooms and it has all been checked.

Even taking on board what you say £810 is a lot of dosh for 1/2 day or even a day that amounts to £4,050 per week doing one a day, no wonder he was driving a 4x4. I personally think that's taking the p** big time because of the Part P rules now there is a £5,000 fine for doing it unregistered, well that's what he said perhaps to put the wind up me, he'd have to get up early to do that. Comments welcome.

Greengrass

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:43 am

[quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
RANGE MODEL ?
CONDUCTOR.
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

The property is earth bonded as I showed him but he talked cross bonding and in the kitchen both hot and cold are already cross bonded [looped from hot to cold] and earth strap at the stopcock in bathroom as well as one also on gas meter pipework so assume that the whole system is already cross bonded and there is no bonding in the bathrooms and it has all been checked.

Even taking on board what you say £810 is a lot of dosh for 1/2 day or even a day that amounts to £4,050 per week doing one a day, no wonder he was driving a 4x4. I personally think that's taking the p** big time because of the Part P rules now there is a £5,000 fine for doing it unregistered, well that's what he said perhaps to put the wind up me, he'd have to get up early to do that. Comments welcome.

Greengrass[/quote]
GOOD PROGRAM ON THE BUSES !
I WISH I HAD REG VARNEYS ROYALTIES !
SADLY MY ONLY LINK WAS WATCHING IT.
OK BACK TO YOUR COMMENTS.
IF BONDING IS IN ORDER THEN 2 CHANGE THE
MAINS BOARD ONLY , MY PRICES START WITH
TOP OF THE RANGE BOARD AT £475 . 00
THIS INCLUDES A FULL DAY OF TESTING ONLY.
PLUS THE TIME FOR INSTALLING MAINS BOARD.
REMEMBER I GIVE 2 CERTS NOT ONE.
AVERAGE OF NEARLY 2 DAYS WORK 4 ME.
MY NAME ON CERT I HAVE 2 GO THROUGH INSTALLATION WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB !
MY AVERAGE PRICE OUTCOMES WITH THIS , BEARING IN MIND PEOPLE
REQUIRE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BOARD ACCORDING TO THIER METHOD
OF EARTHING , AND CHOICE OF PRODUCT ADDS UP ROUND £ 550 . THIS PRICE IS FOR NO , I REPEAT MR GREENGRASS NO EXTRA WORK
REQUIRED. RATES PER HOUR CAN B £ 25 .
BLAKEY1963

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:58 am

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
RANGE MODEL ?
CONDUCTOR.
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Greengrass[/quote]
OF EARTHING , AND CHOICE OF PRODUCT ADDS UP ROUND £ 550 . THIS PRICE IS FOR NO , I REPEAT MR GREENGRASS NO EXTRA WORK
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Ok! Blakey I'll get the bus out now..he! he! Pity about the royalties.

Thanks I get your point but I still think by your prices and time taken the electric company is taking the p**s out of having to have a Part P electrician. And is there any truth in the £5,000 fine for doing it yourself without Part P or was he just putting on the frightners as I told him several years ago I changed my old fuse board and re-wired the lighting in my previous house in London and it was passed and I'm not an electrician, that's because we were poor, and I mean poooooor, we had to find a safe re-cyclable 8way fuse board which tested as safe and only cost £1.00 at a reclamation shop, {sounds better than 'Junk shop']
but all said and done your price a fairer price considering your time.
Greengrass.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:02 am

[quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
RANGE MODEL ?
CONDUCTOR.
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Greengrass[/quote]
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks I get your point but I still think by your prices and time taken the electric company is taking the p**s out of having to have a Part P electrician. And is there any truth in the £5,000 fine for doing it yourself without Part P or was he just putting on the frightners as I told him several years ago I changed my old fuse board and re-wired the lighting in my previous house in London and it was passed and I'm not an electrician, that's because we were poor, and I mean poooooor, we had to find a safe re-cyclable 8way fuse board which tested as safe and only cost £1.00 at a reclamation shop, {sounds better than 'Junk shop']
Greengrass.[/quote]

I MISSED THIS BIT OUT.
I TOLD THE ELECTRICIAN I REPLACED THE OLD FUSE BOX IN MY LONDON HOUSE SEVERAL YRS AGO AND ALSO RE-WIRED THE LIGHTS AND PASSED. HE JUMPED AT THAT [THOUGHT OF LOOSING THE £810 JOB] AND SAID ' IF YOU DO IT NOW NOT PART P REGISTERED THEN YOU COULD FACE A £5,000 FINE FOR WORKING ON ANY ELECTRICS UNREGISTERED'........ IS THERE ANY TRUTH IN THAT? I WAS TOLD YOU CAN AS LONG AS YOU CONTACT COUNCILS BUILDING CONTROL OFFICE FIRST WITH PLAN OF ACTION.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:47 pm

[quote="greengrass"][quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="greengrass"]I may be talking out of line here but my electriciy & gas supplier has carried out a 'Free visual ' check on sockets by using a 3 light neon tester, same or similar that I have, and use for testing earth and polarity on my caravan when in France. From this he deduced the wiring is ok.

Greengrass[/quote]

GREENGRASS
RANGE MODEL ?
CONDUCTOR.
PRICE IS.
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Greengrass[/quote]
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Greengrass.[/quote]

I MISSED THIS BIT OUT.
I TOLD THE ELECTRICIAN I REPLACED THE OLD FUSE BOX IN MY LONDON HOUSE SEVERAL YRS AGO AND ALSO RE-WIRED THE LIGHTS AND PASSED. HE JUMPED AT THAT [THOUGHT OF LOOSING THE £810 JOB] AND SAID ' IF YOU DO IT NOW NOT PART P REGISTERED THEN YOU COULD FACE A £5,000 FINE FOR WORKING ON ANY ELECTRICS UNREGISTERED'........ IS THERE ANY TRUTH IN THAT? I WAS TOLD YOU CAN AS LONG AS YOU CONTACT COUNCILS BUILDING CONTROL OFFICE FIRST WITH PLAN OF ACTION.[/quote]

MR GREENGRASS SIR
IF U NOTIFY BUILDING CONTROL U CAN CARRY
OUT THE WORK.
THEY THEN ASSESS METHODS OF INTALLATION, AND ADHERENCE 2
BUILDING REGS. U WOULD STILL HAVE TO FULLY TEST AND INSPECT
TO BS 7671, AND ISSUE THE CORRECT TEST FORMS AND RECORD RELEVANT TEST READINGS USING INSTUMENTS FULLY CALIBRATED
AND PROOF OF CORRECT WORKING ORDER NEEDED 4 TEST GEAR.
YOU WOULD THEN SATISFY BUILDING CONTROL THAT U HAVE DONE WORK TO RELEVANT STANDARD. THE DIFFICULT PART IS IF U R NOT
CONVERSANT WITH BS7671, AND DO NOT HAVE CERTIFIED CALIBRATED
INSTRUMENTS, AND COMPLETE RELEVANT CERTIFICATES, THEN U NEED 2 GET AN ELECTRICIAN WHO IS. AND MOST CANNOT CERTIFY WORK THAT THEY HAVE NOT CARRIED OUT. THIS IS WHY PART REGISTERED
ELECTRICIANS WITH A SCHEME PROVIDER IE ECA,NAPPIT , NICEIC
CAN CARRY OUT AND CERTIFY THIER OWN WORK, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH LOCAL AUTHORITY BUILDING CONTROL.
THERE IS AS MUCH AS A 5000 POUND FINE IF U DO NOT NOTIFY
BUILDING CONTROL WHEN U R NOT PART P REGISTERED.

BLAKEY1963

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

!

by greengrass » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 am

Thanks Blakey [Went to bus ralley last week end didn't see you there. he! he!] sound complicated to me so will get someone in. I am capable, and all cable /circuits would be marked but as for instruments I've got a pen, pencil, compass and had a guitar and played a violin at school, but elec instruments NO although me mate has but he can't sign it orf. the only thing I would add is the engergy fella I think was playing on the fact I can't do it so bumped the price up, you always get one, by his description what he would do and by the fact it would only take half day £810 phew!!! I don't mind a chap earning a wedge self employed as there are hols,liability,vehilces and time not working to pay for I know been there done that but still think he was taking the p**s a bit.

Greengrass

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:35 pm