14th and 15th Edition any one with old copy can you help?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

14th and 15th Edition any one with old copy can you help?

by ericmark » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:43 pm

The earliest copy of the Requirements for Electrical Installation is 1994 and in that copy, 601-08-01 says how switches should not be accessible from within the bath. I have an Uncle living in a council flat where you have to step into the bath to reach the isolator for the fan heater mounted directly below the switch. The fan heater does have a pull cord and possibly could have complied when fitted but the switch I would not have thought it ever complied. There are no earth leakage devices fitted, and he has two consumer units one for storage radiators and the other for rest of house. The latter a MEM MEMERA 3 BS 5486:Pt3 rated at 80 A and trunking by MITA (UK) Ltd, Abergele, Clwyd. So was after first change in county names which was 1974 to 1996 when it returned to Flintshire. Found their web site must be after 1980 and before 1995 i.e. when they started and when they moved from Abergele. There are no inspection and testing stickers. So it could be back to 14th Edition. It has never had a change in tenant so only the 10 year PIR would be required and I would not think that was ever done. So has anyone got a copy of 14th or 15th and was 601-08-01 in those early editions? I think 1990 will be date so just before 16th Edition came out. Here I am trying to persuade the council to get there housing up to standard and they are the people who are suppose to check my work under Part P not showing a very good example? But Question was 601-08-01 the same in 15th Edition?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi Eric,
Unfortunately I recently ditched my 14th ed. book as no longer relevent. Reason being that the new regs state that you can no longer adopt the old custom & practice of putting on PIR's some thing is 'to the standard of the day installed' as many of us have done in the past.
So I think the way forward in your fathers case is for him to use his tenents right to commission an independant
'qualified person/organisation' to carry out a PIR on his behalf and send a copy of the report to his landlords for comment!
We have said on here recently that virtually all new PIR's are going to contain lots of [4] cats. maybe several[2]'s as well!
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:34 am

Thank you Sparx I hope I will not need it just gathering ammunition ready for a meeting on Tuesday. Electrics are not only problem. He is 80+ and does not complain much. I went down to measure for net curtains as corridor is too narrow for my mothers scooter you would never believe they were built specially for old people. When I say state of general maintainance I was appalled slates embedded in garden where they have come off roof and damp in house which is not surprising with missing slates. Switch is not really an issue as he can't physically get in the bath anyway he needs a shower fitting. And these are the people who check our work to see if we have got it right! But no good going in guns blasting I want something I can use to persuade them not to delay in doing repairs.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:57 pm