17th Edition
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mworm
Labourer
Labourer

17th Edition

by mworm » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:21 am

I am about to get my consumer unit changed for a modern one with MCB's.

I am going to get an electrician to connect it but I was wondering do I need to order a 17th edition one?

The house only has 4 circuits, lights, sockets, garage and shower.

I was going to get a split load Wylex but on researching 17th edition boxes it seems they are double the price. I need a newer unit because there needs to be a 40A feed for the hob in the kitchen and space to add further circuits in the future.

Any advice is most welcome.

Mike

P.s. I wont see the electrician for a week which is why im asking here and not him. :-)

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 17th Edition

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:27 pm

[quote="mworm"]I am about to get my consumer unit changed for a modern one with MCB's.

I am going to get an electrician to connect it but I was wondering do I need to order a 17th edition one?

The house only has 4 circuits, lights, sockets, garage and shower.

I was going to get a split load Wylex but on researching 17th edition boxes it seems they are double the price. I need a newer unit because there needs to be a 40A feed for the hob in the kitchen and space to add further circuits in the future.

Any advice is most welcome.

Mike

P.s. I wont see the electrician for a week which is why im asking here and not him. :-)[/quote]

MIKE
The 17th Edition regs came in july 1st 2008.
if your planned work was designed before this date , then the
work would be to 16th Edition regs.
Obviously as your electrician is carrying out the work , and
providing the test and inspection certificates , to comply
with part p , he will be able to clarify , which regs are being
applied to ( 16th or 17th ) , and then u can confirm , the
type of mains board required .
Contact your Electrician as soon as u can.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:55 pm

The 17th Edition is hardly going to affect you with only 4 circuits. If it were my house I would fit no RCD's and no MCB's it would have just 4 RCBO's with only 4 circuits hardly any change in cost depending on supplier may even be cheaper.
The 17th Edition does not say RCD's must be fitted what it does say is in most cases earth leakage must be included with the protection and a RCBO does this only thing one must be careful with is there is room in the box for the longer RCBO to fit.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Both valid points made by ericmark and BLAKEY1963.But if plan of work was conceived after July 1st 2008 then all installation work must be carried out to 17tj edition regulations so this means your upgrade has to be to a 17th edition mains board or a board with a main switch and rcbo's,as you say you might want to add more circuits later you might want to get a 10 way board now which will save you in the long run.
regards
Topspark

mworm
Labourer
Labourer

by mworm » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks for the replies.

I have spoken to the electrician and he is going to fit the 10 way for me.

My only worry was having only 4 circuits connected to 1 or 2 RCDs was everything going off everytime a light bulb blew.

So think I will have RCBO's fitted.

Thanks again.

Mike

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Mworm please don’t get confused by the word “17th Edition” if the consumer unit will take RCBO’s it can still be used under “17th Edition”.
The problem is old fuse boxes can not be altered to take multi earth leakage devices (RCD’s or RCBO’s) and old boxes for breakers have not got the room to fit the longer RBCO’s so in both cases can’t be converted.
But all the newer Consumer units (Name for both fuse box and MCB box) will take RCBO’s however to reduce cost instead of fitting 10 x RBCO a consumer unit has been made that will take 2 x RCD’s and the two sets of 5 x MCB’s and are loosely referred to as 17th Edition Consumer Units at £33 for an RCD and £4.5 for a MCB and £40 for RCBO the saving by using a !7th Edition unit is quite a lot but since the introduction of the 17th Edition the price of RCBO’s has dropped one whole sale outlet quoted me £12.5 each yet the price of RCD’s has remained static so the idea of using all RCBO’s has become more attractive added that it also has the advantage that each device is less likely to trip due to earth leakage build up.
A RCBO is a RCD and MCB combined into one unit and as a result is either longer or wider depending on make.
I hope that helps you as I realise with so many options there is confusion as to what is required.
A split board can always have the RCD replaced for an isolator and RCBO’s fitted but a single isolator board can not be converted to split board very easy but once you have bought the RBCO’s can’t see why you would want to.
There is now a huge price difference between the makes of consumer units. As to quality it is very hard to tell and only you can decide how much to pay.
Like buying a car.
Eric

mworm
Labourer
Labourer

by mworm » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks Everyone

You have all provided me with some good advice which has put my mind at ease.

:D

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:22 pm