2 gang socket to another 2 gang socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samsdaddy
Labourer
Labourer

2 gang socket to another 2 gang socket

by samsdaddy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:25 pm

i have taken a 2 gang socket off a wall to replace the faceplate.the old faceplate had a different set of wiring ports.when i wired the socket up i found the socket worked fine but an adjoining bedroom socket would not work,i am not sure how to wire it properly.the old one was all live all neutral and all earth together.i have tried this and now neither socket works.somebody please help.thank you

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:06 pm

You post rings alarm bells.
If the socket was part of a ring main even if a wire fell out the next socket should still work.
So how many wires of each colour?
There are two ways to wire sockets as a ring or as a radial the ring is most common and relies on the ring being maintained and will normally be supplied from a single 30/32 amp fuse/MCB it is very important to test after any work as the radial with uses same cable is supplied from a 20 amp fuse/MCB so should a ring be broken overloading can result. Both these use 2.5mm cable.
Also a radial can use 4mm cable and then it can be supplied with a 30/32 amp fuse/MCB but then care is needed to ensure any additions are also in the heavier cable.
A ring main can have a single spur in 2.5mm cable but if more than one spur is required then a fused connection unit (FCU) has to be used.
If you go to http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring ... /index.cfm and download the BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) this gives a very good chart as to what is allowed.
What you relate to worries me as it seems you may have a broken ring if you don't understand what a ring main is and how to test it then I would advise you get it checked by someone who does. Overload and the possible fire as a result is too serious to take chances with.
I may have it wrong and it may be OK but not to raise the issue would not help you in long run.
Eric

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:45 pm

I think a bit of clarity may be needed as you may not have explained yourself well.
So a standard Socket-Outlet has terminals for the line/live conductor which are red or brown in colour, the neutral black or blue colour and the earth (cpc) yellow and green banded colour.
The two lives (red/brown) should go in to the terminal mark L,
the two neutrals (black/blue) should go in the terminal mark N,
and the earths (green and yellow) should go to the terminal marked with an E or and a symbol which was 3 horzontal lines and one vertical line. There could be 3 of each conductors if a spur is connected or just 1 of each if it's the end of a radial circuit, but I don't think you have the later as it would not effect another socket-outlet.
I'd also checck the other socket-outlets terminals have not become loose whilst you have been changing this face plate, if the circuit is installed in conduit or trunking this is possible.
KB

samsdaddy
Labourer
Labourer

by samsdaddy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 pm

as you say it is a ring main.i took the faceplate off again as i was concerned about the fire element.i found one of the negative wires had come out.i have since put the wires back in and tightened thoroughly asnd re tightened and also tugged on the wires.all working ok now.thanks for the response

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:47 am