2 showers in one property
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stephenhill
Labourer
Labourer

2 showers in one property

by stephenhill » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:51 pm

i want to have a 2nd shower fitted. is it possible to have 2 showers in one property. Property is semi detached victorian 4 bed house. Old fuse board which will need changing, prior to 2nd shower being fitted. Im told u cant have two showers on the master fuse i have. Thanks in advance for any advise.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:09 pm

I have seen a house which had two showers from new. And there was no problems that I am aware of in the estate as far as main DNO fuse blowing.

Having said that I think original installation was with 8.5kW so 37A so even with two only 74A leaving with a 100A incomer 26A for rest of house. In practice a 100A fuse will take a lot more than 100A for a short time.

The real problem is if one blows the DNO fuse it will take some time to replace. Assuming wired correct there is no danger only inconvenience in having to ring up the DNO and getting a fuse changed.

Are there no alternative methods? An immersion heater will store hot water and a power shower will correct any problems with pressure. A shower from the gas boiler will be better.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:17 am

Hi, it does depend upon the size of the supply Co's cut-out fuse,
If 100A no problem if marked 60/80A it may only have a 60A fuse.
We used to have 3 electric showers in my bungalow here when 2 teenage daughters at home, one each and one for the rest of us!!
Never had a problem except for the bills.
Changed to solar hot water and large storage tank now we are only 2 most of the time.
The magical 'diversity' bit comes into play as how long would use of both showers exactly together last? rarely I would suggest.
It's a bit like putting twice as many sockets in as before, won't use more energy just conveniant.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:21 am