2 switches one light *PROBLEM*
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darkmagi
Labourer
Labourer

2 switches one light *PROBLEM*

Post by darkmagi » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:17 pm

I have a double switch in my downstairs hall the right switch controls the light downstairs the left switch controls the light on the upstairs landing, I need to know how to wire the switch up so i can turn the light on the upstairs landing on & off from downstairs & upstairs, The switches have 3 points on each switch a common, L1 & L2 i have a live feed coming into the switch its a red wire I also have a green wire & a black wire from the same cable, I have a red, green & black wire going upstairs, I know the wiring works as i managed to get it working but that was about 4 years ago & i forgot which way round the wires go, The only reason i am having problems with the switch is one of the wire's broke behind the switch & when i pulled the socket from the wall 2 of the wires came loose due to a broken screw holding the wire in place As i was not happy with the switch i bought a new one & now i need to know which way the wires go back, Any help or a link to site with a diagram would be great.

Thanks in advance........... :D

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 am

Hi D.
two issues here, first on 'right' sw. ignore L 2, put Live red in C & its blk in L1 [which should be taped red also as is sw.live to light & not Neutral].
second did you have 2 way switching to landing light second switch upstairs working before? or just one double sw. downstairs as 2 one ways? Need to know as 'Left' sw. can be wired in different ways ie if no upstairs sw already then need to add a 3 core cable but if sw. is there then just need to know how upstairs sw. connected ie what colours go where,
await more info, SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:30 am