2 way 2 Gang Wi-Fi Switch Issue on Stairs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nemoc
Labourer
Labourer

2 way 2 Gang Wi-Fi Switch Issue on Stairs

by Nemoc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:34 am

Hi folks

I have a standard 2 gang 2 way light switch on my stairs

I want to replace this for a Wi-Fi smart home switch.

However all of the Wi-Fi switches seem to be one way switches so I am not sure if they can be used and if they can how to combine the wires so that it works.

Lastly does anyone know of any Wi-Fi switches that would fit a shallow or standard back box or will I have to use spacers?

Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way 2 Gang Wi-Fi Switch Issue on Stairs

by Mr White » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 pm

If you find a wi-fi switch you like, I would suggest you either read its manual or read the reviews before you buy it, as all the wi-fi switches I have seen require a neutral which you will not have, and most (not all) UK homes do not have.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way 2 Gang Wi-Fi Switch Issue on Stairs

by ericmark » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 pm

I bought an Energenie MiHome light switch, it did need a deep box and instructions do not say if it can work as a two way, there are three terminals line in, line out and another called "SLAVE" in my case unused, nothing in the instructions says what it is for.

I think what you would need is the MK Echo system, this has a single switch which can be controlled by many devices which includes a transmitter switch which is powered by the action of switching it so needs not batteries.

However the £147.38 price tag is some what off putting well more as you need two switches plus the unit which fits in the ceiling rose.

There is also the LIVOLO Smart Wireless Remote Control Intermediate Switch White Light Switch, it seems to be one of the few not needing a neutral.

So in essence three methods.
1) Select a switch not needing a neutral.
2) Rewire so there is a neutral at the switch.
3) Use a unit that fits near ceiling rose so neutral is there, which a wireless remote switch.

The LIVOLO is 24 mm deep and needs a minimum load of 15W, I known my energenie works with a 10W bulb.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:39 am