2 way control for an 1100w pump
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PhatPhuk
Labourer
Labourer

2 way control for an 1100w pump

Post by PhatPhuk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm trying to figure out the best way to control an 1100w water pump from two switches.

The pump has a standard three pin plug and is single phase, it's currently plugged in to an indoor socket. It is only used once a week or so, so I tend to switch it off at the wall between uses, it has it's own internal pressure switch for when it is in operation.

I'd like to have a second outdoor switch to control the pump as it's a bit of a walk round... and I'm lazy.

Could it be set up with two 2-way switches (one indoor, one outdoor) linked in the same way as a 2-way lighting system, with the pump wired to an FCU which is controlled by the switches?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way control for an 1100w pump

Post by Mr White » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:43 pm

PhatPhuk wrote:Could it be set up with two 2-way switches (one indoor, one outdoor) linked in the same way as a 2-way lighting system, with the pump wired to an FCU which is controlled by the switches?

Yes. But as you have an 1100W pump you should use switches rated for 20A (Normal switches would not last long)
Also as one switch is to be outdoors you need a weatherproof switch. (Rated at 20A)

If you are that lazy why not buy a remote controlled "socket adaptor"

PhatPhuk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PhatPhuk » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:32 am

If you are that lazy why not buy a remote controlled "socket adaptor"

I've never seen a good quality one, they all seem like cheap rubbish. If you know of a decent make then I'm all ears though. Keeping the remote outside the building seems like a bit of a pain as well, it would need to be weatherproof and hard to lose. A hard wired outdoor switch feels like a much better solution (although admittedly, a lot more trouble to install).

Would I need 2.5mm three core and earth, or would 1.5mm be enough?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:59 pm

If you install an FCU first then you can use 1mm

PhatPhuk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PhatPhuk » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:51 pm

First as in between the consumer unit and the whole switch/pump circuit? Not just temporaly.

And a switchless socket for the pump, no need for another FCU there is there?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:00 pm

How much do you trust smart units? I have smart plug in adaptors, and smart sockets, using Energenie and Zigbee and the former have gone wrong, the Zigbee too new to be sure if OK or not.

I have had the portable AC plugged into a socket with an Energenie Mihome socket which monitors output and a zigbee socket without a problem, and have used the former not only to switch on remotely, but also monitor power used so sure if AC running or not.

Be it "If this then that" (IFTTT) or other you can set up links between units, I have a remote to turn on wife's bedroom lights using zigbee, and using remote units you can combine both standard two way switching and smart links with phones.

I have every intention of doing that with landing light. But a light which does not do as expected is very different to a pump, so what you need to consider, if it goes wrong, how much of a problem is that?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:12 pm

The FCU should be (As previously stated) FIRST, then the switches etc. No further FCU's are required.
Yes, you can have an un-switched socket for the pump
But do remember what I said about the switches (Anything above 10A will be fine, 20A would be preferable)

PhatPhuk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PhatPhuk » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Mr White wrote:But do remember what I said about the switches (Anything above 10A will be fine, 20A would be preferable)

Noted, thanks for your help.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am