2 way lighting problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glynn_h
Labourer
Labourer

2 way lighting problem

by glynn_h » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Help! I had to replace the upstairs 2 gang 2 way switch on my landing and have got the wires messed up. Downstairs is a 2 gang 2 way switch that I haven't touched. Both switches will turn the light on and off but not as a 2 way circuit. My house has the old colour wiring. The upstairs switch is wired as follows: A single grey wire with red core appears to the the continuous live - this is in one of the commons; there is a twin and earth (I believe coming up from the downstair switch) - the red wire is in L1 and the black (? switched live from downstairs) is in L2. A single grey wire with red core (? I'm sure is the switched live from the upstairs light) is in L2. So, I have the black wire from the twin and earth and the ? switched live from the light in L2. Can anyone help me - I really appreciate it. Thanks.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 pm

glynn_h,
different ways to do this depending on method of installation.
confirm how the downstairs switch is wired colours and terminals and the lightfing
and you say two gang two way upstairs, what is the other switch operating and is that a two way also?
KB

glynn_h
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks KB, I've managed to get everything working. Glynn_h.

by glynn_h » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]glynn_h,
different ways to do this depending on method of installation.
confirm how the downstairs switch is wired colours and terminals and the lightfing
and you say two gang two way upstairs, what is the other switch operating and is that a two way also?
KB[/quote]

glynn_h
Labourer
Labourer

by glynn_h » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks KB, I've managed to get everything working. Glynn_h.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:29 am

That's good news,
Well done
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:45 pm