3 Damp Patches
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Shell
Labourer
Labourer

3 Damp Patches

by Shell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:25 pm

I have 3 separate damp patches in the bedroom which are along on the front wall of the house. I have looked at the front of the house and noticed that each of the patches are positioned in the same place as where the mortar has been purposefully left out between 3 bricks - I think this is to let air into the loft. All of the houses in my street have the same feature. Can I block these gaps up and will it help? Thank you.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Shell,
Not really enough information - how high up the wall are these holes.
They may well be drainage holes in which case you should not seal them up.
end

Shell
Labourer
Labourer

by Shell » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Sorry Stoneyboy. The 3 holes are about a foot above the bedroom windows ... which is about 6 inches below where the roof meets the top of the house. it seems like they are there to lett air into the loft but this is right above the bedroom so it leaving the bedroom ceiling cold. It doesn't feel wet on the ceiling. Hope this helps you to give me an answer.

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

It sound like these are weep holes above the cavity tray they are there to let any water out which lands above the lintels from the cavity usually from the roof . In my opinion you should leave them open, it should not make any difference to the ceiling if the loft is well insulated, as air movement within the cavity dries out any moisture that enters. The insulation that should be tucked into the eves should stop any air from travelling into the loft space.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 pm