3 Phase Machinery on 240 v circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bangui
Labourer
Labourer

3 Phase Machinery on 240 v circuit

Post by Bangui » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:18 pm

I have been given a 3 phase lathe and want to run it in my 240 v workshop. I know I need a converter, but there my knowledge stops! I have read that rotary converters are better than static converters for machines with a variable load - presumably a lathe is a variable load? I have also read about converters and inverters - what is the difference? I would like a converter/inverter that allowed me to control the speed of the lathe. Grateful for any help on what I should be looking for, and how I match sizes etc. Thanks, Bangui .

curl3y
Labourer
Labourer

Post by curl3y » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:14 pm

If you know what specification the motor on the lathe is (Mainly how many amps are needed), then you can get an according inverter which can be supplied by a single phase and will have a variable 3 phase output.

I believe you can get inverters with built in interface for programming the speed.

Although it may be cheaper to get an inverter without the control and have a small panel built to do the control for you. This is the way I have seen it done, but it was a large motor and a huge inverter.

This wiki page should be helpful, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_frequency_drive

plcman10
Labourer
Labourer

Post by plcman10 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 am

Hi there,

Where in the country are you? Let me have details of the motor as i have lots of inverters for sale.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 am