3sockets and 3lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

3sockets and 3lights

Post by trand » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi I am picking up from the old cooker 30amp cable ( no longer needed) and want to run 3sockets, and 3lights in a shed, do I need any certifacates, to do this, ? do I need an electrician?, and do I need to create a mini ring main, I have read on here, when people have asked about it, and most say no ..thanks trand

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 am

do I need any certifacates,

Yes all electrical work should generate certificates, Either a minir works certificate or an installation certificate. It the work is notifiable under Part P then these will need submitting and you will also have a completion certificate.

do I need an electrician?,

One does not have to use an electrician if you have the knowledge, however if it requires a completion certificate under Part P then by time you pay the council and hire test equipment likely the electrician route is cheapest option.

and do I need to create a mini ring main,

No the ring main is designed to cover a large area and you are not covering a large area.

You will need some form of protection which could be a fused connection unit or full consumer unit and the cable will need to be correct size. A radial from a 32A supply will normally be 4 mm sq or 6 mm sq according to route. Likely 4 mm in your case.

However RCD protection will be required and how it is wired would depend if the protection is already provided or not.

I would plan out what you intend to do completely before applying to LABC then present them with whole plan as far easier to alter a plan then alter wiring if they don't like what you want to do.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:46 pm