DIY Doctor

Main navigation

4 way cable to 3 way light switch

Postby mountain » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Can anyone help confused homeowner... Put some new downlighters in my bathroom and hall way. So have a double light swich. But the old cabling has 4 cables. R,Y,BLUE,LIVE new cable has 3 B,BROWN,LIVE. Cant get the bathroom lights to work as i am only running 1 cable in the wall. How do I CORRECT IT!!! Am I allowed to as im the home owner. Thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:20 pm


Simply Build It

Postby acsimpson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 am

I don't know the regulations, but I do know that if you don't know what cables you need you should call an electrician to come and do the job before you cause yourself or someone else some serious damage.

All fixed cabling in a house is protected by an earth wire (CPC) which will not carry a load except if it the circuit develops a fault. To do otherwise is suicidal at best and criminally negligent at worst.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Postby beckykate » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:27 pm

The fact that you don't know what you're doing should really suggest that you should not be messing with electrics. Get a qualified electrician - don't mess with electrics period.
Bathroom electrics especially!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics