45 AMP DP Cooker Socket Connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Trenarren
Labourer
Labourer

45 AMP DP Cooker Socket Connection

by Trenarren » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi, we are having an electric oven fitted so will need a radial circuit to a 45 amp DP socket. Can anyone tell me if the electrician will have to install this to the consumer unit via a RCD or MCD?
I think this will possibly get troublesome later on when the oven starts to get old, and blowing the RCD??
Thanks for any advice?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:35 am

Unless you ask specially for it to be wired in one of the permitted cables like mineral insulated most electricians would normally wire to some sort of RCD either one of a pair fitted to many new consumer units or with a RCBO which combines the RCD with a MCB. This is because of new rules about buried cables.
You can still assuming the earth leak impedance allows use a cooker without an RCD but the cable required will cost more than normal and requires skill not normally required with domestic and you would need to select the electrician who had these old skills.
The new ali-tube cable I don't think comes in a size which can be used on 45 amp.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:07 pm