5A round pin lighting socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robert_bullimore
Apprentice
Apprentice

5A round pin lighting socket

by robert_bullimore » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 pm

I am currently renovating a cottage, and would like to switch some table lamps on and off from a wall socket. I've seen in older houses these 5A round pin plug and socket for lighting circuits and they are availiable in screw-fix.

What i would like to know is, are thay exceptable in new elecrical installations and how are they wired. i.e With a celing rose the the live is "switched" in the rose, i assume that the socket only has the earth, Live and neutral connections so will they have to be switched in a 4 way junction box?

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 am

First as to regulations.
418.3.5 all sockets must have an earth. 525.3 limits volt drop to 3%. It must comply with BS 1363 (Standard 13 amp), BS 546, BS 196, BS EN 60309-2 (Table 55.1) It must have shutters 553.1.4 there is a provision for other plugs and sockets under 553.1.5 for electric clocks, shavers, etc but unlike to apply here.
MK Logic Plus 5A sockets contain a unique 3 pin operated safety shutter and comply with BS 546 but not all 5A sockets will comply you will have to be careful. But yes they are still allowed.
Using the back boxes of switches or sockets as junction boxes is common and I know of no rules to prevent it.
The only problem is where no circuit diagrams are left for the next owner and they do not realise what they are for. Test results should always be issued with any installation but it is common for DIY jobs not to be tested. Also must be on a 5 amp mcb or fuse.
Eric

robert_bullimore
Apprentice
Apprentice

by robert_bullimore » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks Very much eric, that was most helpful!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 pm