Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thecrazy1
Apprentice
Apprentice

8ft raised decking

by thecrazy1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 am

Ok have done a lot of research on this but just need to clarify

I am about to build a decked area coming out from my back door to approx 1.2metres and then resting on two 3x3 supports down 54" to a brick wall attaching them using bolt downs the only problem is that my kitchen door is 8' from the ground and over someone elses garden my plan is to fit the side supports 3" into the wall and then a face plate/ledger board on the face of the wall with an additional joist half way for extra stability i was intending to use 2x4 but have been advised that nothing less than 6x2 will do is this correct? I am worried about the weight coming down on the neighbours property i will be fixing wall end using rawl bolt and coach bolts to the wood end do i need to consider any kind of flashing on the wall end or should it be ok? Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

decking

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:26 am

you need 6x2 with 4x4 posts.3x3 is unsuitable because of the height. fix a 6x2 against the wall with 10mm bolts .150mm below the door cill height,use joist hangers on the wallplate to attach your 6x2.No flashing is needed.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 8ft raised decking

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Good advice from welsh brickie.

If viewers are looking for general pointers on this subject then we would direct you to our decking DIY category pages which have a bunch of project pages covering all sorts of decking related projects.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:54 am