A new Invention - Please comment
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonjoy35
Labourer
Labourer

A new Invention - Please comment

by simonjoy35 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello All
Like many of us i came up with an idea, and i decided to give it a go. I have had the technical drawings done, the worldwide patent is being applied for, and the prototypes have been made in China and i have tested these to ensure they work. You do not want to know how much this has cost already!!! But before i spend the last of my money, I NEED YOUR HELP.
I need to know what you think of this idea, please have a look at the link

http://www.testing.flashpimp.co.uk/imag ... tion-3.png

and this will explain a little. Nothing has been made yet, so you cannot buy but i need to know your thoughts, to see if you think it is a good idea.
The item is called SAWSAFE and it is to offer your fingers protection as you align the blade when you start to saw a new cut as well as being able to use this to mark the line and any angle you wish to cut, with a hand saw or a jigsaw etc.
Please let me know what you think and if you want to see more pictures please let me know
THANK YOU for your help

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 pm

simonjoy35,
Don't think it will be much use.
If I am cutting timber I use my spare hand to hold the timber and for angled cuts I use either a mitre saw or compound electric mitre saw.
end

sweetorb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by sweetorb » Sun May 30, 2010 11:01 am

hi

as a carpenter im afraid i agree with stoneyboy, sure ive seen this sort of thing before anyway. will sell in b an q i supose tho, or on ebay, inexperienced woodworkers MAY benefit from it...??!!

if it was me id have made the overhang on the back edge longer to ensure the angled cut is square down the angle, especially as youve mentioned joistwork in the blurb and joists will be at least 2 inches..............just a thort!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 am

i've sawed thru my thumbs and fingers, almost to the bone, on so many occasions that i barely notice it any more!

i don't think it will attract much interest from too many professionals, i think that you'd be better off aiming it at the diy market.

with regard to the angle cutting, i have other means of doing that, usually with a chop saw and an angle finding device so i wouldn't feel the need for extra investment in this product.

overall it doesn't really solve any problems that i can't solve using existing tools in my toolbox.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 am

also not impressed by the fact that the fellow in the picture is cutting the workpiece on his knee! does the device come with a KNEESAFE as well to stop him cutting his leg off?

also, have you given any thought into slippage prevention? a smooth piece of plastic on a smooth piece of timber and it may slide about all over the place, leading to the opposite outcome of that which it claims to give. just a thought...

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am