A Problem with Energy saving bulbs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diynightmare
Labourer
Labourer

A Problem with Energy saving bulbs

by diynightmare » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Can anyone tell me why my energy saving bulbs keep popping when I install them. Ordinary Tesco 60wt bulbs work fine but when I put the equivilent wattage esb in... POP! ESB's are Philips and say they are 230-240volts. I have no idea why and I am running out of free esb that British Gas gave me! :shock:

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi, no idea unless you are trying to dim them, which you can't do with normal dimmer sw.,
sorry not heard of this prob. b4 myself
regards SPARX

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Although all energy saving bulbs may look the same there is a huge variety. All fluorescent tubes have different methods of running and starting. From a simple ballast coil and starter, to complex high frequency system. But the B22d bulb typically has no information as to how it works you may get a colour temperature and that is about it. And having used them for years I know some will last for years and years and others fail within a very short time and other than buying from a different source there is very little you can do. Not even the price helps as some Aldi and Poundland ones have lasted ages and Ikea have failed quickly and via versa. In theory Compact Fluorescent with two and four pin bases with GX24q-1 for example should be cheaper and more reliable but in fact they cost 4 times the price of B22d base bulbs and so really there is nothing you can do but change where you buy them from.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:58 am