A Side of Extension of a Rear Extension but do I Need Planning?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
helpmeplz
Labourer
Labourer

A Side of Extension of a Rear Extension but do I Need Planning?

Post by helpmeplz » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi

Currently I have a 3m long pitched roof extension at rear of my house . I am thinking of doing a side extension to it which extends along further to the side of the house. Both extensions will not be connected as the side extension will be a bathroom.

Do I need planning?

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: A Side of Extension of a Rear Extension but do I Need Planning?

Post by Hugh Schkok » Wed May 08, 2019 8:31 am

If a builing addition exceeds 15% of the original building's footprint then you are compelled to apply for planning permission at your appropriate building control dept at your local council. If, however you do not exceed these restrictions then you will still be required to submit the building regulation's that you may or will be exposed to effectively portraying that you have identified the appropriate regulation's and the areas within them regs that uniquely apply to your project. They either inform you of any you have missed out and any that may have been misinterpreted. In addition, a detailed sketch of your proposed development. Preferrably computer generated so that alteration can be undertaken quickly and mailed over.

It has been identified that too much time and resources have been wasted on trivial and pedantic time wasting on building projects. Believe me there has been too much of this historically. Keep them informed as to your progress and issues you came across and how you surmounted them.

It doesn't take too long for them to realise that you are a buider and not a bus driver, you will hear less and less from then on. It is not unknown for them to fend off petty complaint's you have unknowingly received.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Now get back to work, tea break's over,

Hugh

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1