Acceptable movement in new build properties
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Acceptable movement in new build properties

by gogs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 am

We have moved into a nearly new house, first owners had it for jsut over a year.

Since I have never owned a new house, I'm not sure whats to be accepted or not.

I read that there is a 10year NHBC along with that the builder is responsible for 2 years.

I have heard of some problems with other houses nearby and I notice the builder in a few houses.

I have already had to get the window company out as they were not catching on the way out so they always opened right out, not safe upstairs with a climbing child.

Alll they did was bend the catches so the caught!

Also the front door was catching, that has been adjusted but weeks later its catching elsewhere.

There is quite bad cracking around the door area, also around some of the windows, quite a few nail/screw pops.

I'm told the nail/screw pops are normal, there are some large ones on the stairs, also long lines as if the wood is forced against the plasterboard.

What is deemed acceptable and is this anything to worry about and push the builders/developers on.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 pm

gogs,
Your description is not detailed enough for forum members to make a judgement - pictures would be helpful. Suggest you get a structural surveyor in for a look and take things from there.
end

gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gogs » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]gogs,
Your description is not detailed enough for forum members to make a judgement - pictures would be helpful. Suggest you get a structural surveyor in for a look and take things from there.
end[/quote]

I will try and do that as my bad cracks might be another mans nothing.

I also noticed the timber frame kit people at one of the houses today..not sure thats a good sign

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:20 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 am