Adding a Boiler to a Solid Fuel Unvented Gravity System
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

Ricardodba
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a Boiler to a Solid Fuel Unvented Gravity System

by Ricardodba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Just signed up and hoping you can help me out.

I live off grid, so no mains gas, electric or water. Electric comes from batteries charged by solar and a large gen. Gas from a bottle...which we only use for our cooker...water from a spring which is low pressure. My hot water and central heating are heated through a Rayburn oven/stove and I understand its an unvented system. I have 2x cold water storage tanks in loft that supply the cylinder in the bathroom. The cylinder also has an immersion heater in it. There is a pump next to the rayburn for the central heating circulation.

Issue i have is in summer I have to use the immersion to create hot water , which means smashing the batteries or having to run the generator and in a winter on a morning the Rayburn fire isnt hot enough to get the radiators hot...so its freezing! I want to add an LPG boiler to the system to create hot water in summer and to get the radiators hot on a winters morning. Is this possible on my current system?

Have thought about ripping the Rayburn out all together and getting a calor LPG boiler put in...but we like the look of the Rayburn plus it wacks out some heat when its going!!

I have seen there are things on the market such as Heat hero and neutralisers ...can i use any of these?

or what do you guys recommend? I have called a few plumbers/heating engineers but they dont seem interested.

Cheers.

It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:40 am