Adding a fan to the light switch in the bathroom.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul S
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a fan to the light switch in the bathroom.

by Paul S » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:24 am

Hi I recently bought an extractor fan with a downlight from B&Q.
Supposed to be simple to install.
I am trying to add the power for the fan from the light circuit but also have it on seperate switch. I initially had one switch for the light but bought a double.
I have two cables (both Red) going to the original switch.
I have tried connecting one red to the common and the other to L1 in the new switch - Light works fine. On - Off
The problem is when I try to add the fan.
I have aded a jumper cable from the common to the other common and taken one lead (again both cbles in his unit are black) and put this in with the second common and the other cable to the other L1 but cannot get power to the fan.
I have messed around with different combos but I can only get to work in conjunction with the light although I want it to work independently.
Is this possible and if so how?
Many Thanks inadvance for any advice given.
Paul

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi Paul
I have read & reread your post several times & I'm still baffled!
you say 2 red cables? at sw, do you mean 2 red cores from one cable?ore are there 2 twin cables at sw. with one red from each to the sw. & the 2 blacks (that suddenly appeared 1/2 way thro' your ?) in spare term. in sw. box. if so then it would seem likely that you only have tw/e at fan light these being N. + sw/L
If this is so then you can't do what you want with out extra wiring between sw & light! Is this a conservatory by chance?
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 pm