Adding a light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gillant
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a light

Post by gillant » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi all,
My front door opens on to a very small hall with stairs in front. I want to install a light pendant above the door. At the bottom of the stairs is a double light switch which is for the light at the top of the stairs and for a external light by the front door.

Under the floor above the hall I have located two cables which come up directly from above the switch below. One cable goes off in the direction of the stairs while the other goes towards the outer wall and I assume down to the external light.

I would like the new light to come on when the external light is turned on. Do I just cut into the cable for the external light (power off of course) add a juction box and run a cable for the new light off it to the ceiling rose? If so how do I wire the junction box?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi, Oh if only it were that simple.......
the 2 cables are switch wires & don't have a neutral in them just live into each sw. & sw-Live back to lights.
Most likely thing is you will need to run back from outside light, this can be checked by looking inside it, if 2 cables at light then that's the only way, if one cable then there must be a joint box between sw. & light which will allow you to connect there. one other possibility is to look in sw. & see how many cores are in there, if there is more than 2 twin & earths ie a twin plus a 3 core with neutrals looped in a spare connector then you may be ok to do as you suggest, have a look & repost with as much detail as you can, regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:56 am