Adding a new light and switch to existing circuit?? Help!?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Adding a new light and switch to existing circuit?? Help!?

by prbaxter » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:33 pm

Hello,

I wish to add a new light and switch to our existing lighting circuit.

Actually, I want to add an outside security light controlled by an internal light switch, and while I am at it, I want to run a lighting circuit in to the cellar and have a light and switch down there too (I am currently working from a light plugged into a mains socket in the cellar and it isnt ideal as I need the socket for power tools).

So, my main problem is getting started. I have replaced light fittings before, and i have also installed a couple of mains sockets from junction boxes. But I am not entirely sure how to go about this project.

Any advice appreciated.
P

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:19 pm

A couple of ways for cellar light, either see project for 'adding a light or you could take a switched fused spur from socket a wire to a light with 3A fuse fitted. thats the easy bit...you can't legally fit an out side light your self see 'part p projects'
regards Sparx

prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

by prbaxter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks Sparx,

Silly question, and i'm probably not going to attempt it. But what stops someone DIY'ing an outside light and then claiming it was already there when they moved in?

Assuming it was done right, then no problem right? Or is it more a case of 'If someone gets electricuted then you serve some time for her majesty'? But how can they prove that you had fitted it. Is it our responsibility to get it all checked as soon as it's put in?

maybe I should read part P!

P

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 pm

It's in the projects part of this forum, in answer to ?
they cleverly timed the change of wiring colours to coincide with intro. of part p, so unless u got stock of old (now illegal cable) 'they' will know & as u say like everything else it's ok till it goes belly up....
regards Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am