Adding a Second Light Fitting to Run off Existing Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gooner12
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a Second Light Fitting to Run off Existing Switch

by gooner12 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I have installed a second light which I wish to run off the existing switch. The existing pendant has 3 lots of 1.0mm t&e running into it. Do I connect via jb to one of these or do I connevt straight into pendant with my 1.0mm t&e from my new light?
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding a Second Light Fitting to Run off Existing Switch

by ericmark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am

Years ago the ceiling rose was always used as a junction box to next light which was handy for emergency lights and ceiling fans. However there was often no neutral at the switch.

Use of 12 volt lights with power supplies has changed this and some houses now use the switch back box as a junction box as there are no ceiling roses. This however increases the loop impedance and one does have to be careful volt drop is not exceeded.

Without knowing the system used can't really give an answer. However in the main to add a light you go from an existing to new lamp and then from new lamp to switch there is not normally any connection between switches unless designed to use transformers and the like.

Years ago some two way lighting did borrow line but it caused radio interference and the practice was discontinued.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:05 pm