adding another consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
logan123
Labourer
Labourer

adding another consumer unit

by logan123 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 am

dear all / i am new here / i am an old electrician retired many years and not up on the latest regs. / i have decided to sell my house next year and as things have been added over the years i think that the time is ripe to bring some things up to comply with the latest regs.i have an old consumer unit with wire fuses which carries every thing apart from the shower it also carries everything outside /garage / outside lights and lights and sockets in a shed at the bottom of the garden / this is fed with an armoured cable / my question is this / can i put a small modern consumer unit in the garage which joins the house and feed it from the new one in the house / the one in the garage would carry everything outside the house / and would i need to fit earth trips in the one in the garage as it would be protected by the erth trips in the one in the house / please excuse me if i have not made everything clear but i will answer any question / thank you / logan123

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 pm

I have just written a reply for New Extension wiring and much of what I have said to him also answers your questions.
As to out building if you go to IET web site and search for wiring matters there is a very good article on out building.
Also you need to look at Part P there is a link in projects.
Once you have done this I am sure it will generate more questions but do continue to state you are qualified as the answers we give other electricians will be very different to the DIY man. I think meters can be hired for about £80 a week unless you still have contacts and you do need to find Part P costs in your area some local authority building controls charge silly prices and it can work out cheaper get a registered electrician to do the work.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:38 pm