Adding ceiling layers and extending light wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
B6MFD
Labourer
Labourer

Adding ceiling layers and extending light wiring

by B6MFD » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi guys after recently purchasing my first house, which needs a fair amount of work, one of my first jobs is to underline the first floor ceiling. I am doing this because its an under dwelling and im getting a lot of noise coming through from above. I have left the existing ceiling as is, then added 50 x 50 battens, with sound insulation slabs between, then added resilient bars, then 2 layers of plaster board.
One of the problems was the wires to the ceiling light was not long enough, so iv just put a connection box in and added some new wire to the required length.
Is this ok? (i hope so)

Ash

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:20 pm

The electrical regs state that all joint boxes need to be acessible. There definition is that even placing a jb under a floorboard is deemed as inaccessible so sandwhiched between an old and new ceiling does'nt allow much access. The exception is if you use crimps and the correct crimping tool or solder the connections to make a more permanent joint then the accessible rule does not apply.

B6MFD
Labourer
Labourer

by B6MFD » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:35 pm

thanks for your reply.
Is the reason access is required simply a maintenance issue?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:15 pm