Adding electric elements into radiator circuit
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thetwc
Labourer
Labourer

Adding electric elements into radiator circuit

by thetwc » Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 am

Hello. I'm after some advice.
We have a large old house that was recently converted to oil central heating - 14 radiators. We then got a large wind turbine, so have plenty of electricity to hand.
Is there a way to supplement the existing radiator heating circuit with an electric heating source without further huge investment? (air source pump could be pretty pricey)

I'm thinking of T-ing a large hot cylinder and pump into the rad circuit with 2 x 3kw immersions. (Electricians have confirmed the fuse boards should be ok)

From a control point of view, I have a home automation system that can switch either the boiler or immersion elements on and knows room temperatures and set points.

So if the tank temperature is hot and there is demand from a radiator, then turn the water tank pump on. If the tank temperature is dropping/low, then fire the oil boiler to provide additional heat.

Is this possible, complaint and as simple as an immersion tank and pump?
Thank you.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding electric elements into radiator circuit

by ericmark » Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 pm

It can be done, yes, my brother-in-law had a system, but the cost was silly.

The main thing is the cistern or heat exchanger.

thetwc
Labourer
Labourer

by thetwc » Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am

Costs for parts?
Couldn't a standard hot water tank and circulation pump be used?
A bit of plumbing to connect up... job done? Or am I over simplifying it?

It would add another 300litres, say, to the rad circuit, but the immersions would be pretty much running all the time.

Thank you

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed May 05, 2021 11:22 am

Just a thought, there is a Northern Irish system called the Willis system, this has the immersion heater outside the cistern, idea is it heats from the top down, rather than from bottom up.

It may be possible to fit hot coils in the cistern making your own heat exchanger, when not having to worry about where the immersion heater fits.

[attachment=0]Torrent pipe example.PNG[/attachment]This picture may not work, so will try first.
Attachments
Torrent pipe example.PNG

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed May 05, 2021 11:25 am

OK it did work I see, you can see the idea of multi-hot-coils, you can buy cisterns with them built in, but many years ago I remember fitting a hot coil into an existing cistern it came as a kit, not sure if still made?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1