adding more Low Voltage Cabinet Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deano
Apprentice
Apprentice

adding more Low Voltage Cabinet Light

by deano » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:13 pm

hi everyone

can anyone help. i currently have 3 Low Voltage Cabinet Light fitted in my kitchen running off a switched fused spur. the wire behind the spur is taken off a 13amp socket. i was wondering if you could run a extra 3 Low Voltage Cabinet Light to the spur. could you use a junction box or take them off the spur. the current lights are 3 x 20watts off a transformer.

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:05 pm

As you are wanting to add 3 more lights on the same circuit it is ok to take them back to the spur with the connection going to the mains voltage side of the transformer and then the lights connected to the low voltage (12v) side of the transformer. Make sure when carrying out this task mains power to this circuit is isolated (switched off)
regards
Topspark

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Most likely the transformer could be changed for one that can take the extra lights but in a kitchen this is Part P work and with the silly prices the Local Authorities charge it is most likely far cheaper to use a registored electrician.
Eric

jaffa19
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jaffa19 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Playing about with LV can be dangerous and I wouldn't advise attempting work of this kind, part p or not, as LV carries a higher current through the cables and therefore a higher risk of fire if you have any loose connections.. do the thing a pay for a sparks. :D

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:05 am